Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
Special Rooms not behaving in an appropriate fashion.
MithrilCoat
#1 Posted : Friday, March 8, 2013 6:34:03 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
I read the forum thru the other day, and I recall seeing some discussion on Special Rooms not coughing appropriate items... in returning to the forum, I cannot find this thread anywhere. So I am posting a new thread.

John,

You seem to hava a bug somewhere in this routine and I have now seen two seperate variants.

When I hit SR 2, my first item was a gem of kominasom. I thought, huh? That was cheesey and moved on.
When I hit SR 3, I got a set of special plate mail. (that worked right.)
When I hit SR 4, I got a Rod of Kings and I said huh???? I went on to hit SR 4 a great many times, and I finally got a "Real Item" on the 6th or 7th iteration. It almost seems like you may have some item duplication between tables going on. IE "XXX Cloak" appears on both SR 1 table and SR 2 table. So when I pull the cloak from SR 1, I get crap from SR 2 cause I already have an item from the table.

That is the first error. I read that you were supposed to score a "real" item on your first go thru on each level, and that is not happening.

The second error was truely tragic. Hit SR on 5, it was an epic battle that resulted in one of my chars getting stoned but ultimately, I survived. After killing the last monster, the chest icon appeared, but the usual text about opening the trap did not. I could highlight various characters, but could not access any of their menus. I wanted to send a comment, but could not access that function as well. So to be clear, the app was running, there was no crash, but I was stuck in between the combat mode and the open box mode. (oh, on IOS if that matters.)
John Gaby
#2 Posted : Friday, March 8, 2013 8:01:14 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
MithrilCoat wrote:
That is the first error. I read that you were supposed to score a "real" item on your first go thru on each level, and that is not happening.

That is not quite correct. Each time you defeat a special room, an item from that room's table is selected. If you already posses that item, then a normal treasure item, appropriate for that level, is selected instead. Since some special items can be found on multiple levels, it is possible to find an item on, say level 1, and then receive that same item on your first trip to the special room on level 2, thus resulting in a normal treasure item.

MithrilCoat wrote:
The second error was truely tragic. Hit SR on 5, it was an epic battle that resulted in one of my chars getting stoned but ultimately, I survived. After killing the last monster, the chest icon appeared, but the usual text about opening the trap did not. I could highlight various characters, but could not access any of their menus. I wanted to send a comment, but could not access that function as well. So to be clear, the app was running, there was no crash, but I was stuck in between the combat mode and the open box mode. (oh, on IOS if that matters.)

This is a known bug, actually. Unfortunately, it is very hard to reproduce (I have only seen it happen a couple of times). I have looked over the code, but cannot see how this happens. I will take another look at it. I believe that it can happen in normal encounters as well as special rooms.
MithrilCoat
#3 Posted : Friday, March 8, 2013 12:00:15 PM

Medals:

John,

As a player, breaking into a new level and spending some time SR'ing it only to find an item you get randomly on lvl 1, is pretty much the ultimate anti-climax. It is a major kill-joy and for me at least, sucks the life right out of the game. As an old time player, SR'ing "IS" the game. So to get nothing for it...

If you want to fix this, just make the special items distinct to each level. And If you don't have enough make a couple more that aren't really all that great. Like a ring pro +1 that you U for a small bonus to AC/ THAC0 / or Dex. or wahatever. I would imagine that you could make 6 or 7 distinct rings items alone to fill in gaps on lvls 1-3. Other ideas are staff's usable by non spell chuckers, gems that have a much better burn rate.

The other bug is a doosey. Can you add a debug routine that kicks in whenever the game is active and the device does a hard boot., and then tell people to do a hard boot after they experience this bug without shutting down the game? that way you can get some crash data.
John Gaby
#4 Posted : Friday, March 8, 2013 5:47:19 PM

Medals:

John,

MithrilCoat wrote:
As a player, breaking into a new level and spending some time SR'ing it only to find an item you get randomly on lvl 1, is pretty much the ultimate anti-climax. It is a major kill-joy and for me at least, sucks the life right out of the game. As an old time player, SR'ing "IS" the game. So to get nothing for it...

I will give it some thought, but frankly you are the only one who has ever complained and there are certain items (e.g. the items that actually lead you to the secret rooms) that I want to be available on more than one level.

MithrilCoat wrote:
The other bug is a doosey. Can you add a debug routine that kicks in whenever the game is active and the device does a hard boot., and then tell people to do a hard boot after they experience this bug without shutting down the game? that way you can get some crash data.

A 'postmortem' would be of little help. I need to be able to 'catch it in the act'. Once it has happened, I cannot tell how it got into that state. I will take another look at the code and see if I can see what might be amiss.
MithrilCoat
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 10, 2013 1:47:01 PM

Medals:

As far as the SR goes, okay. I guess I can buy that. It suprises me that I am the only one bothered, but if the Gen X ers are using items to find the special, instead of running the level, then I certainly can understand that.

I will adjust my thinking to the new and improved ways.
John Gaby
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 10, 2013 2:14:12 PM

Medals:

I actually agree that looking for the special rooms should be a priority. When I play, I will visit the special room for each level at least a half a dozen times or so before I am ready to move on. I like it better than just randomly walking around. However, since I am hitting the rooms multiple times, the fact that I don't receive a special item on each visit does not bother me that much. I figure it is just the luck of the draw.

By the way, once you have found and defeated the special room on a level, you can force the game to generate a new one by exiting the game and restarting. Sometimes, if I end up finding the room quickly, I can hit the special room more than once on a trip to a particular level.
MithrilCoat
#7 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2013 11:36:57 AM

Medals:

I have repeated the "box icon can't access any menus bug" again. Again on lvl 5 SR (sigh)

The party was different this time, different races, classes etc.

The common denominator is that I am eliminating a fairly large group of monsters with a spell (in this case 8 monsters with ice storm) at the same time that high dex chars (36 and 38) are set to auto fight.

This appears to be the only commonality I have found to almost every crash and lock up error I have found.

Two days ago (after getting sick of the game crashing on me almost every 5 minutes) I turned off auto fight
and just started running levels 2 and 3. No errors. No crashes. I find it a bit tedious to play without the auto fight, but I will test this theory out on 4 (where I am having huge crash issues) and see what happens.
John Gaby
#8 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2013 2:19:12 PM

Medals:

I have not had time to investigate the crashing issue further, but the logs you sent me did give me some clues. Hopefully I will have a chance to look at it soon. You might want to just take a break from it until I can resolve the problem.
MithrilCoat
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:25:06 PM

Medals:

John,

Is it possible that certain items are showwing up on the Special and Regular item tables at the same time? IE I am fairly certain that I found a "Staff of Rest" from a regular box (non SR) and yet it offers me 0 gold for it in the store, like it was an SR item. Since I have never used said item, it remains in my inventory and therefore cannot be found by me again.

If a regular (non SR) box rolls up that item from the table, could this be what is crashing the game on me for post combat? I am not talking about the missing treasure bug, but the post combat crash in regular rooms.

You asked me once what I am doing that might be causing the crashes, and well this thought occurs to me, I haven't used a single special item yet, so they all remain in my inventory. This is probably contrary to what most people do ... so I thought you might want to know.
John Gaby
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:41:13 PM

Medals:

The Staff or Rest should not be showing up in a regular treasure. Are you positive that you didn't get it from a SR.

I cannot see how not using special items could be causing your crashes. There is something going on here but I cannot quite figure out what yet.
MithrilCoat
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:59:49 AM

Medals:

John,

I am not positive about the staff/rest. At my age, I am not positive about much of anything anymore.

I was just trying to brainstorm what was different about me than other users to explain why I get repeated crashes and others seem not to.
Paool
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:54:33 AM

Medals:

MithrilCoat wrote:
I read the forum thru the other day, and I recall seeing some discussion on Special Rooms not coughing appropriate items... in returning to the forum, I cannot find this thread anywhere. So I am posting a new thread.

John,

You seem to hava a bug somewhere in this routine and I have now seen two seperate variants.

When I hit SR 2, my first item was a gem of kominasom. I thought, huh? That was cheesey and moved on.
When I hit SR 3, I got a set of special plate mail. (that worked right.)
When I hit SR 4, I got a Rod of Kings and I said huh???? I went on to hit SR 4 a great many times, and I finally got a "Real Item" on the 6th or 7th iteration. It almost seems like you may have some item duplication between tables going on. IE "XXX Cloak" appears on both SR 1 table and SR 2 table. So when I pull the cloak from SR 1, I get crap from SR 2 cause I already have an item from the table.

The second error was truely tragic. Hit SR on 5, it was an epic battle that resulted in one of my chars getting stoned but ultimately, I survived. After killing the last monster, the chest icon appeared, but the usual text about opening the trap did not. I could highlight various characters, but could not access any of their menus. I wanted to send a comment, but could not access that function as well. Get itSo to be clear, the app was running, there was no crash, but I was stuck in between the combat mode and the open box mode.

I (oh, on IOS if that matters.)

I got that 2nd bug, the "no one can open the chest" one, just a few minutes ago--and that wasn't the first time; however, I am on Android, not iOS.

I suspect that it happens when I accidentally hit the back button with the heal of my thumb just as the chest appears; but I'm not sure.
Paool
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:07:55 AM

Medals:

MithrilCoat wrote:
John,

I am not positive about the staff/rest. At my age, I am not positive about much of anything anymore.

I was just trying to brainstorm what was different about me than other users to explain why I get repeated crashes and others seem not to.

Really, how old are you?
Paool
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:12:06 AM

Medals:

John Gaby wrote:
John,

MithrilCoat wrote:

I will give it some thought, but frankly you are the only one who has ever complained and there are certain items (e.g. the items that actually lead you to the secret rooms) that I want to be available on more than one level.

MithrilCoat wrote:

A 'postmortem' would be of little help. I need to be able to 'catch it in the act'. Once it has happened, I cannot tell how it got into that state. I will take another look at the code and see if I can see what might be amiss.

I just posted this but don't see it in the forum, so here it is again. Sorry if this turns out to be a double post:

I totally agree with MithrilCoat (nice name, BTW).

In an RPG, the motivator that keeps players grinding is character evolution.This comes by way of gaining new powers through leveling or by obtaining uber-items.

In Oubliette, leveling "levels off" early in the game. Melee-ers get all the skills they're going to have immediately or almost immediately. Casters top out at level 6 in their respective crafts. After that, all the level gains are exiguous improvements in stats and in the number of spells available per expedition. All or most of this can happen in the first couple of levels, i.e. the free part of the game.

So it's the prospect of getting exciting new gear that really keeps the juices flowing. Since there are no quest rewards and Grundig eventually stops offering anything much more enticing than a pointy stick, we rely on special rooms to do the trick (hey, that rhymes!), and when those turn out to be duds, it's a real disincentive.
MithrilCoat
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:12:56 AM

Medals:

Paool wrote:
MithrilCoat wrote:
John,

Really, how old are you?

I played oubliette for the first time during a high school field trip to the University of Illinois in January of 1978. I enrolled at the University of Illinois in August of 1979. I got my first author signon on CERL PLATO in November of the same year ... You'll have to do the math from there.
MithrilCoat
#16 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:30:58 AM

Medals:

Paool wrote:
John Gaby wrote:
John,

MithrilCoat wrote:

MithrilCoat wrote:

I just posted this but don't see it in the forum, so here it is again. Sorry if this turns out to be a double post:

I totally agree with MithrilCoat (nice name, BTW).

In an RPG, the motivator that keeps players grinding is character evolution.This comes by way of gaining new powers through leveling or by obtaining uber-items.

In Oubliette, leveling "levels off" early in the game. Melee-ers get all the skills they're going to have immediately or almost immediately. Casters top out at level 6 in their respective crafts. After that, all the level gains are exiguous improvements in stats and in the number of spells available per expedition. All or most of this can happen in the first couple of levels, i.e. the free part of the game.

So it's the prospect of getting exciting new gear that really keeps the juices flowing. Since there are no quest rewards and Grundig eventually stops offering anything much more enticing than a pointy stick, we rely on special rooms to do the trick (hey, that rhymes!), and when those turn out to be duds, it's a real disincentive.

You are right about my name.

You are completely wrong about leveling.

I have put a few hours into the game, and have built many level 20 something casters and swingers. If you are having trouble leveling up beyond 6, then you must be some of these:
1) Running chars with high EXP parameters (Elf,Dwarf, Ogre)
2) Not running deep enough in the dungeon
3) Not aware that you must kill the monster to derive a chance to level.

Try rolling and building a Kobold Mage (you want a 15 + con and a decent dex) -- its hard to roll a good one, but ultimately worth it.

Or a Halfling Mage (hold out of 18+ con cause it is easier to roll) easier to roll harder to level up.

I have several Dwarf Samuraii (or is it Samurais?) that I built just because I found some dwarven hammers early on.
They are now a major pain to level and I am trying to replace them. That being said, they allowed me to run deep fairly quickly and find some better gear on lvl 6, so it wasn't a mistake to build them, perhaps I just needed 2 instead of 4.

You are right about new gear.
Cowboy
#17 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 6:59:26 AM

Medals:

I believe he is talking about spell level 6, which for priests happens at very low levels. Obviously for mage spells it takes longer (especially if you are using sages or rangers) but I see his point to a degree. Having said that my party includes a bunch of level 50-odd rangers so I clearly found it rewarding to keep going :)
John Gaby
#18 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 7:12:56 AM

Medals:

Interesting discussion. The fact is that it is really pretty easy to find and defeat the special rooms repeatedly (at least I have found it fairly easy), so have it be a dud sometimes doesn't seem to be that big a deal. In fact, I have pretty much been able to advance my party quite nicely by hunting special rooms on each level until I was ready to advance to the next level. Perhaps I never found every special item for each level, but I found many of them. I don't want to make it too easy, or you will be in the same boat that you complain about the normal play.
Paool
#19 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 11:10:45 PM

Medals:

MithrilCoat wrote:
Paool wrote:
MithrilCoat wrote:
John,

Really, how old are you?

I played oubliette for the first time during a high school field trip to the University of Illinois in January of 1978. I enrolled at the University of Illinois in August of 1979. I got my first author signon on CERL PLATO in November of the same year ... You'll have to do the math from there.

I believe there's a formula that lets you calculate someone's age if you know the current date and their date of birth. I was absent the day they taught that. Anyway, I'm given to understand that it uses some extremely high level math involving integral calculus or long division or something; so I wouldn't be able to use the formula even if someone were to write it out for me.

To make matters worse, you didn't provide the basic information needed to apply the formula. For instance, you failed to tell me today's date. Instead, you leave me (tense change intentional) with clues which I must use to solve a mystery just to reach the point where the advanced math will stump me.

I have a feeling that in the end, your age will turn out to equal something like, "Colonel Mustard And Vinegar in the glove box with an abacus." Anywho, I have a friend who's a math genius and I'll try to get him interested in the problem. For now, though, I'll simply take note of the fact that you graduated from high school in 1978 or '79 and compare that to my own graduation date of 1962, a comparison that makes me certain that my right to "not be positive about much of anything anymore" outranks yours.

No, wait. "Certain" and"positive" mean just about the same thing, don't they? So maybe I'm not that definite about out ranking you after all. Hmm...

Ok then, wise guy, if that's the way you want to play it, then take this!:

Whatever your age was back then in 1979, if you were mature enough to enroll in a university, you shouldn't have still been fooling around with Playdoh.

So there!

Paool
#20 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 11:24:58 PM

Medals:

Cowboy wrote:
I believe he is talking about spell level 6, which for priests happens at very low levels. Obviously for mage spells it takes longer (especially if you are using sages or rangers) but I see his point to a degree. Having said that my party includes a bunch of level 50-odd rangers so I clearly found it rewarding to keep going :)

Thank you for sparing me the trouble of having to clarify that, Cowboy. You're completely right about the misunderstanding. I believe I said something to the effect of "casters don't go beyond level six in their respective crafts." At the time, I thought that made my meaning clear but now I see that I should've been more descriptive. Anyway, I believe that MithrilCoat and I agree on all the of the points that he enumerated, not just two out off three.

I too have no intention of quitting. My problem is that I keep wanting to experiment with different classes and team combinations; so I have several parties, none of which have sventured beyond the eighth map level.